Wednesday, February 13, 2013
Can Your BF Pass this Quiz?
|Stop Teen Abuse Credit: Carey Hope|
Then over time, he begins to do some things that make you a little uncomfortable, but maybe, you think, it's just a bad day? You find yourself thinking, "Maybe I did something wrong to cause it? Surely that won't be normal."
You find yourself explaining him to people...
"It's kinda sweet, he always wants to know where I am and who I'm with. He really cares... kinda romantic!"
"He just doesn't like my friends that much, I mean, he likes them I guess, but he'd rather not hang out with them. That's ok.... I guess."
Do you ever wonder about some things your boyfriend does? Is it normal?
There are a couple of great websites to help answer that question.
One is www.loveisrespect.org. This website is FULL of info, resources, quizzes, help for teens and parents, and even a text-in peer advocate line.
If you want to take the quiz to see if you are in a healthy relationship, click here: Healthy Relationship Quiz.
Another great source- Here is a checklist from www.stayteen.org:
DATING ABUSE CHECKLIST
Sometimes it can be almost impossible to look at your relationship objectively. But if you’re concerned that your partner is abusive, your instincts are probably right. Go through our dating abuse checklist and see if your partner has said or done any of the things below. Can you answer agree with some or many of the statements below? If so, it’s time to think about getting help and getting out.
- My partner teases me in ways that hurt my feelings.
- My partner calls me mean names like "stupid" or "fat" or “worthless”.
- My partner acts jealous of the time I spend with friends, family, or people I’m in class with.
- My partner gets angry about the clothes I wear or how I style my hair or they try to control how I look.
- My partner checks up on me by calling, driving by my house, or getting someone else to call/drive by my house.
- My partner always wants to know who I talk to on the phone or who I’ve texted.
- My partner says it’s my fault when they have a bad day or are in a bad mood.
- My partner throws or destroys things when angry.
- My partner hits walls, drives dangerously, or does other things that scare me.
- My partner drinks excessively or uses drugs.
- My partner insists that I drink or use drugs whenever they do.
- My partner often accuses me of cheating or of being into other people.
- My partner doesn’t respect my privacy (he/she reads my email, goes through my personal things, demands access to my desk/locker, insists on seeing my text message history).
- My partner has threatened to hurt me.
- My partner has threatened to commit suicide if I leave.
- My partner has intentionally hit, kicked, slapped, punched, or otherwise hurt me.
- My partner has given me visible bruises, welts, or cuts.
- My partner forces me to go further sexually than I want to.
- My partner is mean to me in front of other people, but sweet, kind, and apologetic when we’re alone.
- My friends have told me they worry about me because of my partner/ think my partner is abusive.
You can call or text this Hotline- 24 hours a day. Seven days a week.
Text "loveis" to 77054. Or call 1-866-331-9474